Total application fees are $725. Applicants who are low-income and have extreme financial hardships may be eligible for a fee waiver of the filing fee. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) uses several criteria for approval and will review your fee waiver application to see if:
- You or a qualified member of your household is currently receiving a means-tested benefit such as Food Stamps or Washington Apple Health. You must get a copy of your benefits letter to submit with your citizenship application
- Your household income is at or below the 150% of the poverty level at the time you file the Request for Fee Waiver
- You are experiencing a financial hardship that prevents you from paying the filing fee, including unexpected medical bills or emergencies
To apply for a fee waiver, you will need to fill out Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, along with the required supporting documents.
You may also qualify for a reduced fee if your household income is between 150% and 200% of the poverty level. To apply for a reduced fee, you will need to fill out Form I-942, Request for Reduced Fees.
Citizenship loans are available to help pay the fees for you and your family. Here are a few trusted partners who offer small loans for citizenship application fees and will help you find the right financing plan.
Citizenship loans partners
Express Credit Union
Phone: (206) 622-1850 | Email: Loans@expresscu.org
Express Credit Union is a mission based not for profit Community Development Credit Union based in Seattle that’s focused on providing safe and affordable financial services and products that are responsive to the financial needs of underserved communities, and in order to help community members build assets to achieve financial stability and economic opportunity. The Citizenship, Permanent Residency, and DACA Loan products are designed to assist immigrants and refugees overcome barriers of access and affordability in attaining immigration status and documentation that leads to greater social and economic opportunities.
- Citizenship Loan: Loan amounts can include additional attorney or agency service fees by request if needed. Checks are issued directly to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Permanent Residency Loan: These loans are available to help pay for the USCIS application processing fees for Permanent Residency, Loan amounts can include additional attorney or agency service fees by request if needed. Checks are issued directly to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and attorney or agency when applicable.
- DACA Loan: Express Credit Union partners with 21 Progress to offer this interest-free loan. 21 Progress also offers free financial education and leadership development workshops. Additionally, they are able to help you get assistance with filling out and filing your DACA application.
Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union
Phone: (855) 575-9352
Seattle Metropolitan Credit Union is dedicated to increasing the prosperity of all Seattleites, regardless of where they were born. We believe that by helping future U.S. Citizens put down roots in Seattle, we improve the wellbeing of the entire Puget Sound area. To help people finance their path to US citizenship, Seattle Metropolitan offers citizenship loans to cover the costs associated with this process. There are two tiers to this product, giving the flexibility to offer each applicant the best possible financing for their unique situation. Applying for either type of citizenship loan is quick and easy and can be done over the phone, online, or in person at one of Seattle Metropolitan’s convenient branch locations. Complete information about rates, terms, and how to apply can be found at our website.
- Citizenship Express: For individuals, with terms up to 12 months. Checks are issued directly to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Citizenship Plus: Ideal for families, with terms up to 24 months. Checks are issued directly to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.